Transition to Teaching graduate's classroom

Licensing/Program Tests

Per the Indiana Department of Education, tests that verify basic competencies and content knowledge are required for licensure and Taylor University's online Transition to Teaching program. 

Students need to meet basic competency before moving on to the third class in the Transition to Teaching program. Basic competency must be demonstrated in one of the following ways:

• ACT, SAT or GRE scores that meet state qualifying scores
• CASA basic skills assessment
• Praxis I tests (taken by August 31, 2013) that meet qualifying scores or a qualifying composite score
• Master's degree

Content knowledge is assessed through Pearson Content Area Assessments, which measure a student’s knowledge in the subjects he/she will teach. Praxis II tests (taken by May 31, 2014) will also be accepted.

Content Area Assessment: Subject assessments measure your content knowledge of the subject(s) you will teach. Both elementary and secondary programs have content area tests. In order to proceed beyond the first two courses in the program, TTT510 and TTT520, secondary candidates with a GPA lower than 3.0 or pursuing licensure in a content area different from their undergrad degree must pass their content area assessment. Secondary candidates with a 3.0 GPA or higher and an undergraduate major in their content area, and elementary candidates take their content area assessment toward the end of the program. ALL candidates must also pass a Pedagogy test in their developmental area to qualify for an Indiana license.

More Information
For additional information, contact any of the following:

Mrs. Kim Overbey, Director of Teacher Certification, 765.998.5286
Education Department, Taylor University, 765.998.5147
CASA and Pearson content area assessment site

Reciprocal State Licensure
Many states have reciprocity agreements which ease the transfer of an Indiana state teaching license to another state. Some states only allow for a temporary teaching license while the out-of-state licensed teacher completes an application and additional state specific requirements for a license in that state. Find more information and links to each state's procedure regarding reciprocity agreements.