Myron demonstrating

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Are there any grade point requirements (GPA) for admission to the program?
Yes, the applicant must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a grade point average of 3.0 or above for full acceptance into the program. Provisional acceptance could be granted to candidates with a 2.5 to 3.0 grade point average. Candidates with a grade point average lower than 2.5 will be considered on an individual basis.

Q: How many classes must I take?
The candidate must meet standards prescribed by the Indiana Department of Education (IDOE). For the elementary program, the candidate can meet standards with 24 credit hours, and for the secondary program, candidates can meet standards with 18 credit hours.

Q: Does this program contain field experiences and student teaching?
Yes, the program contains several courses in which field experiences are mandatory requirements for the course. A full ten-week student teaching experience is required to complete the program.

Q: How long will it take to complete the program?
The program is designed to be flexible depending upon the individual candidates. The program could be completed in approximately one to two years if the candidate is willing to commit the time to the program.

Q: Must I pass state tests?
Yes, please review the Licensure Tests page for complete information.

Q: Can I transfer my Indiana state teaching license to another state?
Yes, most states have reciprocity agreements that make it easier for a licensed teacher to become licensed in another state.

Q: How do I take the required courses?
Courses are taken online; however, field experiences and student teaching in the classroom are required. Prior to taking courses, the candidate must be accepted into the program.

Q: What content areas are available?
An elementary K-6 grade program

Secondary programs (5-12) in the following areas: Math, English, biology, physical science, earth & space science, physics, chemistry, business, historical perspectives, psychology, geography, economics, government, and sociology.

All-grade (P-12) in the following areas: physical education, health, and foreign languages

Q: Do I need to maintain a GPA in the program?
Yes, candidates must maintain a 2.7 GPA and earn at least a C- in all coursework.

Q: When do I apply for student teaching?
The candidate should apply a full semester before the anticipated start date of the student teaching experience.

Q: How are student teaching placements made?
The candidate and the instructor of TTT590 will work together to secure a placement that is appropriate for each individual situation.

Q: What courses must I take first?
TTT510 Introduction to the Education Profession and TTT520 Educational Psychology

Q: Can TTT courses be waived based on previous coursework taken?
Yes, the Director of Licensure Programs has the authority to make program substitutions based on prior learning and/or prior life experiences, including waiving TTT590 Student Teaching.

Q: Can TTT590 Student Teaching be waived?
Yes, if a candidate has been teaching full-time in their licensure area for at least 2-3 years, it might be possible to waive student teaching, based on required documentation. Substitute teaching and/or working as an instructional aide does NOT qualify to waive student teaching.

Q: Can I take a class during student teaching?
No, student teaching is the capstone class in the program and must be taken only after all other classes are completed.

Q: Is financial aid available?
Yes, please visit the Tuition/Aid page for detailed information.