Mild Intervention teacher

Mild Intervention Licensure FAQs

Q: Are there any grade point requirements (GPA) for admission to the program?
No, but the candidate must have a valid Indiana teaching license.

Q: How many classes must I take?
The candidate must meet standards prescribed by the Indiana Department of Education (IDOE). For the mild intervention licensure program, the candidate can meet standards with six courses.

Q: Does this program contain field experiences and student teaching?
Student teaching is not required, though the program does contain several courses in which field experiences are mandatory. Since the mild intervention licensure is for P-12, students must complete at least one field experience in an elementary school and one in secondary.

Q: How long will it take to complete the program?
The program is designed to be flexible depending upon the individual candidates. The program could be completed in one year if the candidate is willing to commit the time to the program.

Q: Must I pass state tests?
Yes, please review the Licensure Tests page for complete information.

Q: Can I transfer my Indiana state teaching license to another state?
Most states have reciprocity agreements that make it easier for a licensed teacher to become licensed in another state.

Q: How do I take the required courses?
Courses are taken online; however, field experiences in the classroom are required. Prior to taking courses, the candidate must be accepted into the program.

Q: Do I need to maintain a GPA in the program?
Yes, candidates must maintain a 2.7 GPA and earn at least a C- in all coursework.

Q: What courses must I take first?
SED520 Exceptional Children and SED530 Foundations of Special Education

Q: Can mild intervention courses be waived based on previous coursework taken?
Yes, up to 3 courses can be waived based on coursework taken within the last 10 years.

Q: Is financial aid available?